Thursday, August 27, 2009

Balanced high energy life - is there a contradiction in this stmt?

Work hard and Party hard - that's how life used to be while I was in college ~ first BITS, my alma mater and then UW.

BITS - We would keep running around with classes, test series, labs, tutes and what not and still find time to catch up late night RAF movies (They used to screen 24 movies (yes you heard it right) in the auditorium), prepare dance sequences to celebrate a friend's b'day even before the test, go to C'Not (the hangout junction at BITS) every now and then!

UW - Things were a little different, mainly because we were not in a hostel anymore. But still that was a high energy stint in life. We would still be running around for classes, for meetings with the profs, for project discussions but still find some time to go to those Ballroom sessions every Friday night, have dinner out on Friday eves, go to Farmer's market every Sat morning and have a pot-luck or dinner invite every now and then!

And now I feel as if life has taken a step back, it has become more slow paced, more laid back! At times I feel it's more balanaced this way. I am atleast able to sleep well at night and enjoy my weekends and weekday evenings not worrying about work all the time. That keeps changing a little bit depending upon the work pressure. But that's how it is on a daily basis. That's all good, because I have become a little health concious these days and thus working out, eating healthy, getting enough sleep and learning new sports/activities have become part of my life.

But sometimes I ponder if this is it - if this's rest of my life! I love the balanced part of this life, but again I miss that energy! I enjoyed that running around all the time and I seem to miss that now! I again want to be on my toes all the time - but at the same time I want to have a balanced life so that I can have a healthy life style, so that I don't miss on some of the most marvelous things on earth - such as exploring nature, learning a new activity, stopping by to gaze at stars, going for an outdoor concert just a block away from my home......

Well such is life - we can't get everything at the same time. We need to compromise on certain things to get other! But I feel we need to keep introducing little changes to keep life flavorful. Changing schedule of various things for instance would bring some change - for instance going to work early in the morning for some days and then going to the gym early in the morning before going to work for some days would bring some change :P

Probably balanced high enery life is indeed possible. Need to work hard while we work and need to party hard when we are not working - it's as simple as that! That being said, it's not all that easy as it sounds. I seem to be concentrating on the latter one lately :P I certainly need to switch, oh no not switch but strike a balance between the two :) Need to bring that energy back!

2 comments:

  1. If only I could draw graphs here, life in a office is like a straight line, but in college it's more like sine curve with lots of ups & downs (however small they may be). You start appreciating ups, just because you see downs on a regular basis (tests & movies) In professional life, mostly one is at a certain comfort level with nothing to worry about (too much), and that makes him/her not able to appreciate the simple joys of life. My theory :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that's exactly the of point my post Abhinav :)
    But definitely we can put in the effort to make this straight line somewhat curved :)

    ReplyDelete