Saturday, April 2, 2011

Men in Blue create History on April 2nd, 2011


I am sure there must be some hundred thousand ppl writing about the glorious Indian win in the Cricket World Cup Final!

I am no expert at this game, but still here it goes - For Team India - The Men in Blue :)

2003 Cricket World Final was the last game I watched before World Cup, 2011.
Reason - Major disappointment, broken heart; due to a shameful loss!

It seemed there was no conviction in Indian Cricket team, no courage to handle the burden, the entire team used to fall like a deck of cards after our major wicket loss..I am talking about Sachin Tendulkar!

2011 - Total change of equation. Conviction, Hunger to bring the Cup home, Team spirit, Courage to handle pressure, Fearless fielding and a great Attitude!!

Everything you need in a true sports team!

This is what led them to victory having tremendous pressure to win - to make up for the previous shameful losses - and - to make India, make Sachin proud. Such a great player, how could he retire without bringing the World Cup Home.

Bravo Team India. You were brilliant in this tournament.
And this is the best World Cup I have ever witnessed (well I wasn't born when Kapil Dev and co brought the cup home :) ).

The best part of the tournament being fair, neck-to-neck competition. No single sided games starting from Quarter Finals. Every game full of energy, full of excitement, full of surprises. For first time in years, I witnessed GOOD CRICKET. A real treat, well worth the short nights and nightouts.

The celebrations in the stadium after this glorious victory were mesmerizing. Teammates dedicated their victory to Sachin Tendulkar. He was lifted onto his teammates' shoulders and carried around Wankhede Stadium.

“He carried the hopes of the nation for 21 years so it's time we carried him on our shoulders,” batsman Virat Kohli said. Golden words, he stole the show!

Team India, you have rekindled my passion to watch cricket after 8 years.

I am so happy, so excited...I love you guys...
For first time in my life, I feel like getting drunk and loosing control :P

I wish I was in India to celebrate in true Desi spirit :-)

4 comments:

  1. Very nice essay Neelam! Your passion made the words pop off the page. The win made we want to understand the game, once and for all! I should just start playing...

    -Tony S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great neelam....i share your feelings at this moment ....today is itched in my memory for whole life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "jinx" did get amortized, didn't it? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tony: Thanks Tony. My passion is not even close to many other Indians I know. But yes, there was some really good cricket in this World Cup. You should certainly watch some highlights and play when you get a chance.

    @Vaneet: Mine too :)
    Last time I went this crazy was in 1994 when Sachin scored double hundred in Sharjah. Those were good times. Watching Sachin's batting was like watching highlights of a match :) I made scrapbook with newspaper clippings that time..it was his B'day too :))

    @V: Totally yaar...I am happy I still watched the match after all that superstition :P Well worth it...will remember this game for many years to come :)

    ReplyDelete