Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Those were the days....

Those were the days, when festivals used to be so colorful, when enthusiasm was in abundance, when our home used to be fragrant with home made festive delicacies, when we would start preparing for the festive season 2 months before, when we used to sit with our dad and make a huge list of things to buy, when we used to sparkle clean our home for festivities and still not get tired, when we used to go to Ram Leela every night during navratri, when we used to invite lil girls for food at our home, when we used to go see Dusshera festival where they burnt Ravan Statue, when we used to make our own Ravan Statue and fill it with fire-crackers, when all the ladies and girls would sit together for decorating their hands with Hena late at night and still manage to get up early in the morning to start Karwa Chauth, when staying hungry during fasts used to be so much fun, when Diwali used to knock months before with loud fireworks, when we would pester our mom to buy more n more diyas and candles to light our home, when we used to pester our dad to buy more n more crackers, when we used to make greeting cards with hands for everyone, when we used to buy new colorful dresses for the festivals, when we used to light our entire home with bright candles and diyas and not electrical lights, when we all used to sit for pooja on Diwali eve, when mom's Halwa Poori used to taste more delicious than a 7 star hotel gourmet food, when we used to get happiness from life's little pleasures, when we all used to be together!!

I miss those days, I miss India, I miss those festivals, I miss my home, I miss being together with my family.....

3 comments:

  1. Neelam, YOu so aptly gave words to these emotions which were hiding in me also :)..."those were the days"SIGH!!!!
    thanks neelam

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I think its time u guys come for a visit now :) But beautifully written post, makes me remember my childhood wen me and my cousins used to be together and have a blast during summer vacations. "Summer vacations", the only time we used to wait for, throughout the year :) Miss those days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes India trip is due..but I don't see it happening in 2009...But now even in India, everyone is so scattered...I can't recall the last time my entire family was together on a happy occasion!! Eagerly waiting for that to happen and I am hopeful :)

    ReplyDelete